The Building Division is the central resource for construction code information and conducts pre-application and pre-construction consultation meetings with developers, architects, owners, and builders. The Building Division manages all the building permit review and construction activity to safeguard life, health, property, and public welfare by assuring compliance with the city adopted uniform construction codes, including the building, electrical, plumbing, mechanical, accessibility, and dangerous building codes.
Building permits ensure that work is performed according to building safety codes and the City’s zoning ordinances. Permits protect you, your family, your home and the community.
The following information is intended as a guide for home owners and does not include all projects that require permits.
- Detached structures (over 200 sqft.)
- Room Additions
- Patio Covers
- Retaining walls exceeding 2’-6” with slope or 3’-0” no slope
- Swimming Pools & Spas
- Gas lines
- Porch Enclosures
- Carport Enclosure
- Window replacement – when size is altered
- Replacing roof sheathing
- Interior / Exterior wall removal or installs
- Plumbing fixtures to be added or relocated
- Water system Re-pipes
- Electrical Panel Change outs
- Electrical updates / rewires
- Photovoltaic Systems
- Fire place installations
- Lath for stucco systems
- Electrical, Mechanical, Plumbing for detached structures less than 200 sqft.
For more information specific to your project, please contact the Building Division at (928)-453-4149.
- Floor Covering
- Minor Drywall Repair (Hole Patching)
- Minor repairs of non-structural items such glass, trim work, cabinets, hardware
- Replacing Roof Covering
- Replacing existing plumbing fixtures
- Repair or Replace existing Air Conditioners (without increasing the unit size, capacity, location, or ampacity.)
- Replacement of existing water heater.
- Water Softeners / R.O. systems
- Privacy walls not exceeding 6 foot
- Completeness Verification for Commercial/Multi-Family Projects: Plan review does not begin until we have verified that the submittal package is complete. The applicant is responsible for the completion and submittal of all necessary construction documents, plans and application forms as described in the pre-application conference. The Community Services Department verifies the completeness of the submittal. If incomplete, the plans are returned to the applicant. If complete, the applicant pays the review fees and the plan review process begins. Completeness review is 3 business days.
- Miscellaneous/Residential/Tenant Improvements: Plan review does not begin until we have verified that the application submittal is complete. Once the application is complete, plan review begins. Review of application submittal is 3 business days.
- Plan Review: Construction plans will be reviewed by the Community Services Department for compliance with building codes, and zoning and engineering requirements. The Engineering Division and Fire Department will conduct their plan review concurrently. All review comments will be provided to the applicant, with the redlined plans and copies of the comments sent to the applicant by the designated project manager.
Miscellaneous: 5 business days
- Retaining Walls
- Patio Covers
- Small additions
- Standard Plans
- Plan Changes
- Mechanical, Electrical, Plumbing Permits
Large Additions & Garages: 7 business days
Questions: If you have any questions regarding your project (tenant improvements, multi-family or commercial), contact the designated project manager.
Single-family & Duplexes: 7 business days
Tenant Improvements: 10 business days
Multi-family & Commercial: 15 business days
Corrections: The applicant is responsible for responding to all comments and required corrections. The review process may be repeated as many times as necessary for the applicant to address the code requirements. Turnaround times for residential is 5 business days and 10 business days for multi-family & commercial for each repeated review.
Permit Issuance: Issuance of the various permits requires the payment of all permit and plan check fees, plus off-site improvement guarantees and Mohave County Health Department approval when required. No permits will be issued until the name of the general contractor plus his city business license number, contractor’s license number and a copy of his Arizona Department of Revenue bond exemption certificate have been provided on the building permit application.
Jeff Thuneman - Building Division Manager, 928-854-0716, email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Larry Grzesiowski - Planning Technician, 928-854-0715, email: email@example.com
Pedro Marquez-Soto - Plans Examiner, 928-854-0721, email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Jerry Amann - Development Specialist, 928-854-0746, email: email@example.com
City Website: www.lhcaz.gov
A person may request the City to clarify its interpretation or application of a statute, ordinance, code, or policy affecting the procurement of this license pursuant to ARIZ. REV. STAT. § 9-839.